SIG History Activities|
Frequently Asked Questions
SIG History Activities
ACM SIG Histories Wikis
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Architecture (SIGARCH)
- Retrospective Collections:
Readings in Computer Architecture (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Architecture and Design)
Edited by Mark D. Hill, Norman P. Jouppi , Gurindar S. Sohi
25 Years of the International Symposia on Computer Architecture (Selected papers), Edited by Gurindar S. Sohi, ACM Press, 1998.
International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA) Influential Paper Award (from 15 years previous conference)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Artificial Intelligence (SIGART)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer & Society (SIGCAS)
- Celebrating their 40th Anniversary
- ACM Special Interest Group on Data Communications (SIGCOMM)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Design Automation (SIGDA)
SIGDA is Interviewing founders of their field - interviews along with key papers to be put together on a DVD.
- ACM Special Interest Group on Graphics and Interactive Techniques (SIGGRAPH)
- SIGGRAPH Pioneer Day
Milestones in computer graphics: the SIGGRAPH history project, E. Jan Hurst, ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics 22(5) (October 1988), ACM Press.
A history of ACM SIGGRAPH, Judy Brown and Steve Cunningham, Communications of the ACM 50 (5) (May 2007).
ACM SIGGRAPH 89 Panel Proceedings
- ACM Special Interest Group on Information Retrieval (SIGIR)
- ACM Special Interest Group on IT Education (SIGITE)
SIGITE is creating a history of SIGITE.
- ACM Special Interest Group on Performance Evaluation (SIGMETRICS)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Microarchitecture (SIGMICRO)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Multimedia (SIGMM)
SIGMM has a Preservation Chair for their conference
- ACM Special Interest Group on Mobility ofSystems Users, Data, and Computing (SIGMOBILE)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Management Of Data (SIGMOD)
- SIGMOD History Webpage: new oral history on the creation of TODS and VLDB conferences, plus the early history of SIGMOD, complete list of SIGMOD volunteers, etc.
Celebrating the 40th anniversary of the relational model with a CACM article and interviews published in SIGMOD Record throughout the year.
Sponsored an oral history of ACM Turing Award winner Charles Bachman.
Sponsoring the copying and digitization of 2500 pages of historical material, to be included in the Turing Award web site for Charles Bachman.
- Sponsored transcription of the CODASYL (Conference on Data System Languages) (May 27, 1969) and Herbert R. Grosch (July 15, 1970, August 24, 1970, August 28, 1970, November 9, 1970, March 30, 1971, May 7, 1971) tapes
- ACM Special Interest Group on Operating Systems (SIGOPS)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Programming Languages (SIGPLAN)
- A Chronology of SIGPLAN: its Officers, Conferences, Awards, and more
HOPL-III vidoes now available in ACM DL at portal.acm.org/toc.cfm?id=1238844
Password protected list of SIGPLAN volunteers available at www.sigplan.org/database.htm
Most Influential Paper Awards from 10 years prior conferences, Programming Language Design and Implementation, International Conference on Functional Programming, Principles of Programming Languages and Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages and Architectures.
- History of Programming Languages Conference series
20 Years of the ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation 1979-1999, A Selection. Edited by Kathryn S. McKinley, ACM 2004.
- Co-sponsored the oral history of Jean Sammet, former ACM president and founder of HOPL
- Sponsored transcription of Ralph Griswold (May 14, 1972, May 21, 1972, and May 28, 1972) interviews
- Article in May 2007 CACM Special Issue A history of the history of programming languages
- ACM Special Interest Group on SImulation and Modeling (SIGSIM)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Software Engineering (SIGSOFT)
- ACM Special Interest Group on University and College Computing Services (SIGUCCS)