Meeting Minutes
Archive | January 2010 | December 2009 | October 2009 | August 2009 | May 2009 | April 2009 | March 2009 | 2009 Face-to-Face | January 2009 | December 2008 | November 2008 | October 2008 | September 2008 | May 2008 | April 2008 | March 2008 | 2008 Face-to-Face | January 2008 | December 2007 | November 2007 | October 2007 | September 2007 | August 2007 | March 2007 | 2007 Face-to-Face | November 2006 | October 2006 | May 2006 | April 2006 | March 2006 | February 2006 | 2006 Face-to-Face | December 2005 | November 2005 | October 2005 | September 2005 | May 2005 | April 2005 | March 2005 | 2005 Face-to-Face | January 2005 | December 2004 | November 2004 | October 2004 | March 2004 | February 2004 | 2004 Face-to-Face
April 2006 Conference Call
    ACM History Committee April 2006 Conference Call

    April 20, 2006 4-5:00 EST

    Present: Bill Aspray, Mary Hall, Mike Mahoney, Len Shustek, Rick Snodgrass, and David S. Wise



  1. Status on open items

    1. CACM special section

      We've heard of a good number of papers in the works, so it appears that this special section is in good shape

    2. interviews
    3. Rick send out a status report. Much progress is being made: two transcripts are being added to the DL, two are in the hands of the interviewee, two are in the hands of the interviewer, two are being transcribed, and three interviews are pending.

    4. visit by Beth and/or Carrie to HQ to coordinate the separation of archival material from material that is not of archival quality

      This is getting to be urgent, as the move is scheduled for August.

    5. John Backus interview

      Len confirmed that Grady will be interviewing John Backus, including functional programming, through the CHM.

    6. web site

      The target for the website is the end of April, as that would be helpful for the EC and Council to see what we've been up to.

    7. SIG interactions

      Ideally, each SIG will have its own history page, to be pointed to by the History Committee's SIG page.

    8. other status

      TODO: David will schedule conference calls for the fall. (We have one more conference call this spring, on May 25.)

  2. Questions and materials for the Irene Hollister interview

    Carol had asked in an email, "Do we have a way of eliciting some detail about that [departure from ACM of individuals who were AI researchers who went off to form AAAI], or that sort of thing in which groups either wither or more specifically, break off?"

    TODO: Rick will add mention of AAAI, IEEE, and AFIPS in several places in the list of suggested questions.